Thursday, October 30, 2003

I’m now officially a member of our church, having partaken in communicant classes, and been received into the church fellowship at pre-communion service last night. Was given a card outlining what it means to be a communicant member:
My Confession
– I have received Jesus Christ to be Saviour and Lord of my life.
My Vows
- to be open to Christ’s will in my life
- to live in fellowship with him through prayer and bible study
- to obey and honour him in my daily life, and witness for him I my daily life
- to be regular in attendance at worship and at the Lords Table
- to be active in the life and work of my church, and support it financially
- to play my full part in his mission to the world

Pretty serious stuff, but I cant help wondering what it really means to people, and as a church are we loyal to these vows. Initially we may passionately fulfill these vows, but sadly this initial passion and fervor dies as we loose our focus, and become comfortable in our Christianity, and caught up in the whirlwind pace of life. It would be worthwhile to ponder these vows throughout our life with Christ. I pray that with Gods help I will fulfill these vows, and that I wont loose this passion and fire that I have at this early stage of my Christian walk with God.
Another thing of note was the minister’s address, looking at John 15 where Jesus is described as the vine. The Old Testament refers to Israel as the vine, but since Christ’s coming and living the perfect life, He can now boldly state that He is the “true vine”, and more than that: we as a body of believers are the branches. God’s purpose being to bear fruit through the branches, reaching out with the message of love and redemption offered through Christ to bear a rich and healthy fruit. It also describes the pruning process, which can be painful at the time, but necessary so that the greatest fruit can be produced. To remain fruitful, it should be noted that the branches need nourishment from the vine, and must remain in it, developing a dependence on it.

No comments: