Sunday, July 31, 2005

God’s sense of humour
We had our final pre-reach out event last night, and lets just say it was a learning experience for me, a lesson I’m somewhat slow to learn. The plan was a DVD night, namely The Incredibles, projected through a projector with the sound through an amp with speakers, giving the full on cinema effect. So I gathered together the equipment and cabling that I figured would make it happen, went down in the afternoon to set it up and test the sound, and came home having succeeded and feeling pretty good about myself that it would work.
The evening arrives, nearing 50 kids show up; we have hired out the DVD, sit them down and go to show it. Sounds booming out until the crucial point – when the characters speak, you see their mouth moving but there aren’t any words coming through. Nitemare, so I check a few cables, check a few setting’s on the DVD, still no words. Try plan B, play it through the laptop and hope for the best, still no joy. Only thing we can do as kids become more restless is go for the subtitles that worked for a while, but ultimately isn’t the same as sound. The digitally enhanced DVD needs a surround sound system to bring through the full range of sounds, and our two speakers through an amp didn’t match up.
So we had a swift change of plan, played some music while we fed them their pizza and hot-dogs, ran home for some karaoke dvd’s, and they sang their hearts out for the remainder of the night.God again taught me that it’s not in my strength that I do things for him, but through the strength and ability he gives me by his spirit. Because I had left God out of the equation, and let my quiet time’s with him falter over the past week, he used this incident to remind me that it’s Him that should have priority in my life. Its Him I’m serving with all my heart, it’s Him who gives me strength when I’m weary, and ultimately it’s Him I need to rely on for all I seek to do in His name.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Colin!

Isnt it amazing how God can use all things for good, I remember wondering that night why nothing seemed to be working out...dvd not working, us spilling all the milkshakes, etc etc... everything seemed to be falling apart and I remember just thinking 'Lord, please let these kids leave this hall tonite having had a good night and still wanting to come to Reach Out!' How amazing to hear them leave and tell parents that theyd had a such a good nite and for their to be so much buzz the next day about it! Waow!! The glory has to go to God!!

Reach Out was amazing, and it was awesome to witness how much God is working in and through your life! Your passion for God amazing, He has given you such a heart for young people! Keep serving Him, youre a real encouragement!
Love in Christ
Rosi